top of page

Sponsoring parents and grandparents

If you’d like your parents and grandparents to come to Canada, they may be eligible to apply for a super visa which could let them stay in Canada for up to 2 years at a time.

How to apply:

If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents, there are 2 applications:

  • You must apply to become a sponsor.

  • Your parents or grandparents must apply for permanent residence.

Submit both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together online at the same time.

How does Parents and Grandparents intake process work?

  1. Potential sponsors indicate their interest

  2. Invitations to apply are sent to potential sponsors

  3. Potential sponsors submit the applications


Need an assistance with file preparation? Email us to schedule an online appointment.

Parents and Grandparents

You may be able to sponsor your parents and grandparents to become a permanent resident if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or

  • A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or

  • Permanent resident of Canada

If you sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

  • support them financially; 

  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the Government;

  • provide for your own needs and those of your parents and grandparents and their dependents

Super Visa - Another option for Your parents and grandparents to temporarily reside in Canada

Canadian Super Visa can be a great option as well if your parents are not really considering moving to Canada or you just missed the deadline or your parents, grandparents were not selected by the authorities.


Super Visa


It is a multiple entry visa valid for up 10 years, allowing your parents or grandparents to visit Canada in a 10-year time-frame. Keep in mind, it is just a visitor visa with a longer duration of stay.

The super visa lets Your parents or grandparents stay in Canada for up to two years at a time. If the intention to stay is six months or less, a visitor visa might be an option as well.

Eligibility for a super visa. You must:

  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;

  • have a signed letter from the child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:

    • a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit

    • the list and number of people in the household of this person

    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document

  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:

    • valid for at least one year from the date of entry

    • at least $100,000 for minimum coverage

  • have proof that medical insurance has been paid

(Note that a quote from the insurance agency is not accepted)


Spouse or Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

If you are married or are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, your partner is eligible to sponsor you through the Inland Spousal Sponsorship or Out-land Spousal Sponsorship: depends on whether you are currently in Canada or not.

The major issue is to prove the authenticity of the relationship or marriage. The burden of proof is on the applicant and it must be established beyond a shadow of a doubt that the relationship is genuine.

Who can apply to sponsor spouses, partners, or children?

You can be a sponsor if you are:

  • at least 18 years of age;

  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:

    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

  • can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that you meet the low-income cut-off).

You can’t be a sponsor if you:

  • have failed to pay:​

    • a performance bond

    • family support payments

  • an immigration loan

  • have failed to provide for the basic needs of a previously-sponsored relative who received social assistance

  • are under a removal order

  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison

  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

  • are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)

  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago

  • sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident

  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet

  • were convicted of a violent or sexual offense, or an offense that caused bodily harm to a relative—or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offenses


Who you can sponsor?

To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependents must be admissible to Canada.

You can sponsor your spousecommon-law partner, or conjugal partner if:

  • they are at least 18 years old;

  • your relationship is genuine and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada


If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, they must already co-habit (live) with you in Canada. A conjugal partner is, in relation to a sponsor, a foreign national residing outside Canada who has been in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year. A foreign national residing inside Canada cannot be sponsored as a conjugal partner.


Dependent child

If you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner, any dependent children should be listed on their application forms. If you are sponsoring one or more dependent children as the principal applicant(s), you must submit a complete set of application forms and documents for each child.

Sponsoring Your Common-law Partner:

Canadian Immigration Authorities define a common-law partnership as two people who have been residing together for 1 year. If you are a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor Your common-law partner to immigrate to Canada.


How to prove that you and your common-law partner have lived together?

You can provide a lease contract or mortgage agreement in both names. Also, you can present a utility bill, bank statement, phone bill, driver's license or any other document to prove that she/he is your common-law partner and that you have been living together.


The Open Work Permit Pilot Program for Inland common-law partners and spouses allows partners to work anywhere for any employer in Canada while the applications are under the process. This rule is applicable until July 31, 2020.


In order to be eligible for this open work permit the following requirements have to be met:

  • application for permanent residence through common-law or spousal sponsorship must be in processing;

  • both partners must reside at the same address;

  • both partners must meet eligibility criteria under the spousal or common-law sponsorship program;

  • the applicant must have a valid temporary resident status as a student, worker, or visitor.

Sponsors living in Quebec

The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules. After your application is received, IRCC will send you an email or letter with instructions about how to apply to become a sponsor.

Sponsor your relatives

You may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or

  • a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or

  • permanent resident of Canada

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

  • support your relative financially when they arrive

  • be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative, such as:

    • food

    • shelter

    • clothing

  • make sure your relative doesn’t need social assistance


How to proceed?

1. Email ( information on whether You would like to sponsor or to be sponsored;

2. We will review your request and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment;


3. You decide whether to proceed


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration professionals.

We adhere to the highest standards of client relationship and service.

Click here to fill out the Immigration Assessment Form



Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page