top of page

How to Work in Canada without a Working Permit? Canadian Work Permits

When can you work in Canada without securing a Temporary Work Permit?

You might still require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada temporarily though.


The following foreign nationals may work in Canada without a work permit:


  • Business Visitors (salary/work place is outside of Canada, cross-border, international trade activity, will not enter the Canadian labour market. Recommended to have a business support letters from Canadian and foreign companies, detailing the nature of the work and purpose of the trip)

  • Foreign Representatives and their Family Members

  • Military Personnel

  • Foreign Government Officers

  • American Cross-Border Maritime Law Enforcement Officers

  • In-Flight Security Officers

  • On-Campus Employment

  • Performing Artists

  • Athletes and Team Members

  • News Reporters, Media Crews

  • Public Speakers

  • Convention Organizers

  • Clergy

  • Judges, Referees, and Similar Officials

  • Examiners & Evaluators

  • Expert Witnesses and Investigators

  • Health Care Students

  • Civil Aviation Inspectors

  • Aviation or Accident Investigators

  • Crew

  • Emergency Service Providers

  • Implied Status



Business visitors can be in:


  • After Sales Service

  • Board of Directors Meetings

  • Employees of Short-Term Temporary Residents

  • Individuals who are employed in a personal capacity, on a full-time basis, by temporary residents in Canada may be considered business visitors (for ex, personal assistant)

  • Employees of Foreign Companies Contracting Canadian Companies

  • Situations arise in which foreign companies contract Canadian companies to provide services in Canada. In such a situation, the foreign company may wish to send one or more employees to Canada to ensure that the work is being carried out in a way that pleases the foreign company. A business visitor in this category may remain in Canada for up to two years.


Foreign Representatives and their Family Members

Foreign representatives, as well as their personal staff and family members, may work in Canada without a work permit. Family members of foreign representatives must receive a ‘no objection letter’ by the Protocol Department of DFAIT in order to work without a work permit.


Military Personnel

Military and civilian personnel in Canada may work and study without permits. The families of these individuals are also covered by these exemptions.


What is an "Implied Status" under Canadian Immigration Laws and Regulations?

Individuals may continue working under the conditions of an expired work permit provided that they applied for a new work permit before the original expired. While waiting for a response on their application, they must remain in Canada to ensure implied status. Once a decision has been made, the applicant may either continue working under the conditions of their new permit, or they must leave Canada.


Each situation requires thorough research to ensure that there are no issues when entering / leaving Canada and no employment/immigration rules are violated while in the country.

How to proceed if you require assistance?

1. Email us ( Your issue and any documentation that you consider relevant


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.


Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page