top of page

Corporate and Immigration Services: Open Work Permits, Employee Relocation and Business Visas

As a Canadian Employer, you have several options to choose from. All of them have different requirements and terms.


1. An LMIA Work Permit, Labour Market Impact Assessment is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), needed to apply for most Canadian work permits. The foreign employees must demonstrate that they meet all the requirements of the position as listed in the LMIA application.


2. Owner/ Operator LMIA

To qualify as an owner/operator, a foreign national must demonstrate that they:

  • have a level of controlling interest in the business of more than 50% of the business,

  • are in the most senior position and are active in the management of the business;

  • have a feasible business plan;

  • plan to employ at least one Canadian or permanent resident in the first year; 

  • the business activity in Canada will create more employment opportunities for Canadians and permanent residents and/or skills transfer to Canadians and permanent residents.


What are the advantages of the Owner/ Operator LMIA program?

  • No requirement for advertising or recruitment;

  • Available anywhere in Canada;

  • The validity of a positive LMIA is up to 2 years; 

  • A possible path to permanent residence through the Express Entry System


3. The Global Talent Stream Pilot -  hiring highly-skilled global talent, the employer must commit to providing both mandatory and complementary benefits.

Objective: Hiring unique foreign talent from the Global Talent occupations list in order to enhance the company’s performance.

There is no advertising requirement and no transition plan for this stream.


There is a mandatory progress review on the employer’s progress on their commitments made in the Labour Market Benefits Plan.



4. LMIA-Based Work Permit under PNPs

Provincial nominee programs authorize provinces and territories to nominate applicants based on the labor market and economic needs of each province or territory.


5. LMIA-Exempted Work Permit Applications


Under these regulations, employers can avoid the lengthy and complex LMIA process:

  • International agreements – Canada-International Free Trade Agreements and Canada-International Non-Trade Agreements ;

  • Canadian interests (Significant benefit, Reciprocal employment, research, competitiveness and public policy, Charitable or religious work);

  • No other means of support (Refugee claimants, and persons under unenforceable removal orders);

  • Permanent residence applicants in Canada (spouse or common-law partner in Canada, Convention refugees, successful pre-removal risk assessment applicants);

  • Humanitarian reasons (holder of a Temporary Resident Permit of 6 months or more with no means of support)


Under these regulations, employers can avoid the lengthy and complex LMIA process.


*Exemptions apply to the following types of Work permits:


  • Work permit for a start-up visa entrepreneur if they do not intend to immigrate to Canada;

  • Work permit for the key personnel for the new start-up visa office;

  • Work Permit for employees of international Organizations with divisions in Canada, under the International Mobility Program (IMP), Canada’s International Agreements and Non-trade-related agreements;

  • Work permit for after-sales service specialists (installation, repair or maintenance of industrial or commercial equipment);


6. Intracompany transfer

The main objective of this type of LMIA-exempt application is to establish the relationship between the Canadian organization and the parent company, branch, or affiliate outside Canada. To be eligible for the intra-company transfer to the Canadian office, the foreign national eligible must have been employed for a minimum of one year in the same position by the parent company, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate company outside Canada. The transferred personnel has the option to be joined by their family members for the period they will work in Canada.


7. Start-Up Intra-Company Transfer Work Permits

Before making the LMIA-exempt work permit application, the Canadian company must register or incorporate a new office in Canada, so the qualifying company relationship between the entities is established.


8. International Experience Canada (IEC) Work Permit

A work permit under this category is meant for youth between 18 and 35 years from a country of citizenship that has an agreement with Canada that allows applying for an IEC work permit.


There are three categories, but not all three are applicable to all countries: working holiday, young professionals, and international Co-op internship.


The working holiday category provides an open work permit, while the young professionals and the international Co-op internship provide employer-specific work permits.


We are able to represent both an individual and a corporation to handle any kind of immigration assistance.  We can cooperate with Human Resources Managers and company representatives to develop a plan for their employees’ to travel to Canada.

Assistance can be provided on:



We are one of the reliable immigration firms in Canada. Our head office is located in Toronto, but we have a number of regional agents throughout Canada supported by highly qualified consultants and lawyers licensed in their respective jurisdictions.

Whether your company is employing a foreign worker or you need a Canadian employee to be transferred internationally or any other corporate immigration assistance, contact our offices today.

How to proceed if you require assistance?

1. Email us ( Your issue and any documentation that you consider relevant


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.


Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page