top of page

Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program

In order to be eligible for the Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program, one must:


1. Come to Quebec to practice a profession or business activities, alone or with others, with or without paid help;

2. Make a start-up deposit at a financial institution located in the region where you intend to practice your trade or profession:

  • C$25,000 start-up deposit if you intend to practice your trade or profession outside the Montreal Metropolitan Community area

  • C$50,000 start-up deposit if you intend to practice your trade or profession in the MMC area


3. Have minimum net assets of C$100,000, if applicable, with your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, and proof of its source and lawful acquisition;

4. Have at least two years of experience as a self-employed worker in the profession or trade you intend to practice in Quebec;

5. Obtain, by the prescribed deadline, an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Quebec values. The members of your family accompanying you (your spouse of 16 years of age or older and your dependent children of 18 years of age or older) must also obtain the attestation.


Your application will also be assessed on other factors and criteria, such as:


  • Your age and the age of your spouse or de facto spouse (if applicable)

  • Your level of education and that of your spouse or de facto spouse (if applicable)

  • Your language skills in French and English and those of your spouse or de facto spouse (if applicable)

  • Your financial self-sufficiency

  • Your visits to Quebec

  • Your family in Quebec


If you consider practicing a regulated profession or trade in Quebec as a self-employed worker, you must contact the competent regulatory body in Quebec as soon as possible. You must familiarize yourself with the conditions and take the steps required to obtain legal authorization from that regulatory body to practice your profession or trade in Quebec. A diploma or license obtained outside Quebec does not automatically confer the right to practice a regulated profession or trade in Quebec.


In addition, to practice a profession governed by a professional order in Quebec, you must pass a French language examination if you cannot provide proof that you have appropriate knowledge of French.


If you are a self-employed worker and you do not meet the conditions of the Self-Employed Worker Program, check if you qualify for the Regular Skilled Worker Program.



How to proceed if you require assistance?

1. Email us ( Your issue and any documentation that you consider relevant


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.


Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page