top of page

Study in Canada

Canadian schools are ranked among the top in the world with research industries in the fields of business, engineering, healthcare, technology. 


After completing studies in Canada, foreign nationals can become eligible for a number of immigration pathways, including post-graduation work permits, provincial nominee programs, even fast-tracked permanent resident status. 

It is quite important for the parent or a child to choose the right program from so many programs that are being offered these days.

Many immigration programs encourage international students to stay in Canada after their studies are completed.

General categories of study in Canada:

  • Natural Sciences

  • Social Sciences

  • Arts & Humanities

  • Business & Management

  • Computer Sciences

  • Education

  • Fine Arts

  • Engineering & Technology

  • Mathematics

  • Medicine



To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution. A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.


All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions. 

If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, make sure it is on this list.


If the school you are studying at loses its designated learning institution status after you get your study permit, you can:

keep studying your program until your current permit expires, but only renew your study permit if you enroll at a designated learning institution.


Acceptance Letter

One of the key requirements for a study permit application is a letter of acceptance. This is a letter from a Canadian educational institution stating that a person has been accepted into a program of study


Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ)

If you want to study in the province of Quebec, there are a few extra steps to getting your study permit. Quebec is unique in the landscape of Canadian immigration because it organizes its own independent immigration policies. For international students, if you want to study in Quebec, first you have to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ). This is a legal document authorizing you to study in the province. 

Post-Graduate Work Permit

Foreign nationals who complete a post-secondary program (or certain secondary programs) as international students in Canada may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). These work permits authorize recent international students to remain in Canada to live and work after their studies are complete.

Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPs) are open work permits, meaning that they grant foreign nationals the freedom to work for different employers in different locations. Unlike the vast majority of Canadian work permits, the PGWP does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for successful applicants. PGWPs enable many recent graduates to gain valuable Canadian work experience. With enough work experience in Canada, many foreign nationals become eligible for Canada’s permanent residency programs, including one of the following pathways:



Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) a foreign national must be at least 18 years old and have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a program of at least 8 months. The study program must have been completed at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in one of the following types of programs listed below. As well, in order to apply for the work permit, a foreign national must apply within 180 days of the completion of their study program.


If an applicant is applying from within Canada, they must have valid status at the time of application. If their study permit has expired or will expire they may apply for status as a visitor before applying for the PGWP. However, applicants who apply for a PGWP prior to the expiration of their study permit are eligible to begin working full time immediately, while their application is processing. Applicants may apply for a PGWP from overseas.


Eligible Levels of Study

The following levels of study and programs are eligible for PGWPs:


  • public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school or university, or CEGEP in Quebec; or

  • a private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools (only applies to certain institutions in Quebec); or

  • the private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP); or

  • Canadian private schools that can legally award degrees under provincial law only for those enrolled in study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province.

Certain international students who receive funding through Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and some foreign financial aid programs may be ineligible for post-graduation work permits. A post-graduation work permit can be valid for any length of time between eight months and three years. A PGWP will not be issued for a duration longer than the applicant’s duration of study in Canada. Generally, the PGWP will be approximately the same duration as the applicant’s period of the Canadian study, up to a maximum of three years.


Many of Canada’s permanent residency immigration programs privilege applicants who have a connection to Canada, either with ties to a specific province, Canadian work experience, or a Canadian educational credential. Canadian international students benefit from some or all of these advantages if they choose to pursue immigration to Canada permanently. Please note that international students in Canada should ensure they meet the conditions of their study permit throughout their stay. If a student violates the terms of their study permit, this could jeopardize future immigration applications.

Working in Canada While on a Student Visa

Since June 2014, those who are holding Canadian Study Permits who meet the eligibility criteria are allowed to work on or off the campus without the need for a separate work permit. The eligibility criteria to be able to work up to 20 hours a week are:

•           Must have a valid Canadian Study Permit

•           Must be a full-time student

•           Must be studying at an authorized designed organization in Canada. These organizations include Canadian universities, community colleges, college d’enseignement general et Professionnel (CEGEP), publicly funded trade or technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

•           Must be studying at a post-secondary level in Canada, or;

•           Must be studying towards a secondary level vocational qualifications, or a post-secondary level qualification in Quebec

•           Must be studying on a program that awards a degree, diploma or certificate

•           Must be studying on a program that lasts for at least 6 months


Provincial Nominee Programs with an International Graduate Category:

How to proceed?

1. Email us ( Your issue and any documentation that you consider relevant


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.


Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page