top of page

How to sponsor parents or grandparents?


In order to sponsor your parents and grandparents, you must commit:

  • support them and their dependants financially

  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government


Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent?

You’ll have to prove you have enough income in your application in order to support parents and grandparents.


Eligibility Requirements:

You can sponsor your parents and grandparents if:

  • you’re at least 18 years old

  • you live in Canada

  • you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • you have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor (you’ll have to provide your proof of income).


How much income do I need to sponsor my parents or grandparents?

You can find it out here:


If you live outside Quebec

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. It is called “promise an undertaking”.


Under the undertaking You must:

provide financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents;

repay any provincial social assistance from Canadian Government your sponsored family members get during that time;

You and your sponsored family members need to agree to certain responsibilities during the undertaking period. It is called “the sponsorship agreement”.


What is the Sponsorship Agreement under Parents and Grandparents Immigration Category?


  • You’ll have to provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members;

  • The person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members;

  • When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a form that includes the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement.


If you reside in the Province of Quebec

You must meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor. The Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income. You must also sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.


You can’t sponsor your parents and grandparents if:


  • you’re less than 18 years old;

  • you won’t live in Canada when you apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents and/or when your parents and grandparents become permanent residents;

  • Your primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application and until we make a decision on your application.

  • you’re not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • you’re a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit

  • your permanent residence application is still in the process

  • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.

  • your proof of income shows you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor

  • You may not be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you:

   - are in jail, prison, or penitentiary

  •  didn’t pay back

   - an immigration loan

   - a performance bond

   - court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support 

  • didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past

  • declared bankruptcy and are not discharged

  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

  • were convicted of a violent criminal offense, an offense against a relative or any sexual offense inside or outside Canada

  • can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

There may be other reasons that make you ineligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents. If Canadian Immigration Authorities determine that you’re not eligible to sponsor, they will explain the reason.


Who you can sponsor?

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption.

In the case of divorce or separation, you can sponsor your parents’ and your grandparents’ spouses, or conjugal or common-law partners.

In the application, you can only include your brothers and sisters, or half brothers and sisters, if they qualify as dependent children.

You may sponsor more than 1 person or couple if you meet the income requirements for all the people you want to sponsor and their dependents (spouse, partner, and children).


The people you sponsor must also be eligible:

To show they meet the eligibility requirements, your parents and grandparents and their dependants must provide:

all required forms and documents with their application

any additional information we request during processing, including:

medical exams

police certificates



If you have brothers or sisters, you can include them in the application only if they qualify as dependent children. If they’re older than the age limit or they don’t meet all the requirements, they can’t be added to your parents’ application as dependent children. They’ll have to immigrate to Canada on their own.

You can’t sponsor:


your spouse’s parents and grandparents (your in-laws)

However, you can be a co-signer on your in-laws’ application.

someone who is inadmissible to Canada

This means they are not allowed to come to Canada.


How to apply:

If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents, there are 2 applications:


  • You must apply to become a sponsor.

  • Your parents or grandparents must apply for permanent residence.

Send both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time.


The Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Process consists of 6 steps:


  1. Submit the interest to sponsor form
    It’s available at the beginning of the year for a limited time.

  2. Get an invitation to submit a complete application

  3. Get the application package

  4. Pay your application fees, Biometrics fee (covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo), depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for medical exams, police certificates, etc.

  5. Submit your application (The 60 days deadline is specified in the invitation).

  6. Send additional information during processing



The application is being returned by the Canadian Immigration Officers if:


  • it’s incomplete

  • fees are missing

  • you weren’t invited to submit a complete application

  • you missed the deadline specified in your invitation


During processing, You will be requested to submit:

Biometrics, medical exams, police certificates

Police certificates shouldn’t be included when applying initially. Police certificates are required for the people being sponsored and each family member 18 or older (who isn’t already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident). Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they have been issued. Depending on processing times, You might be requested to submit new certificates.


If there are any developments in your situation related to sponsorship. You must inform the immigration authorities. Changes include

  • birth or adoption of children

  • marriage or divorce

  • death of an applicant or dependant


As You can see the process is pretty complicated and requires strict observance of the procedure and deadlines.

How to proceed?

1. Email ( information on whether You would like to sponsor or to be sponsored;


2. We will review your request and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment;


3. You decide whether to proceed


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration professionals.

We adhere to the highest standards of client relationship and service.

Click here to fill out the Immigration Assessment Form



Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page