top of page

Come to Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker

Getting a Canadian job offer and applying for a work visa based on the offer can eventually assist You to immigrate to Canada in the future.

Why it is an option?

You get to know Canada and acquire local Canadian experience, get to know people, traditions, environment, which helps you to decide whether you and your family want to move to Canada permanently.

An LMIA is a Canadian labor market authentication process that requires that Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) evaluates Your offer of employment.

What is the purpose of the LMIA if the Canadian Employer wants me to work for her/him?

​The purpose is quite simple: to ensure that the Employer searched but couldn’t find such a person in Canada (genuineness of the offer) and that the employment of a foreigner will not have a negative impact on the Canadian labor market.

The next step is that a Canadian employer applies for an LMIA to Service Canada. If approved, then the applicant applies for the work permit.

​Please note that we cannot assist you with the job offer in order to arrive in Canada, but definitely can help you with all the paperwork which is involved in this quite complicated process.

Individuals with a job offer from a Canadian employer must secure a Temporary Work Permit to work in Canada.

There are many paths to obtaining a Temporary Work Permit. Choosing the correct path depends on a number of factors, such as:

  • The type, skill level, and location of the job in Canada;

  • The nationality of the worker


For foreign workers, an offer of employment from a Canadian employer is usually required before the worker may be granted a Temporary Work Permit by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). There are several steps to this process. Depending upon the foreign worker's country of citizenship, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.

Step 1: Employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment (if required);

Step 2: Employer extends Temporary Job Offer.

Step 3: Foreign Worker applies for Work Permit.

Step 4: Work Permit is issued.

Employment and Social Development Canada requires that Canadian employers meet certain requirements when hiring foreign workers.

In order to work in Canada on a temporary basis, foreign workers must obtain a Canada Temporary Work Permit.


We are able to review all aspects of the temporary job offer to ensure that it meets the necessary requirements:

  • The job being offered;

  • The person’s qualifications with respect to the job offer;

  • The person’s country of citizenship;

  • The person’s current country of residence;

  • The jurisdiction of where this job will take place in Canada; and

  • Check whether there are licensing requirements for the job.


The advantages of obtaining a genuine Canadian job offer include:

  • Additional points under the Federal Skilled Worker Category of Canadian Immigration

  • An essential element for qualification under the Provincial Nomination Program

  • Priority processing of your application for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa.

  • Quick entry to Canada on a Work Permit during the processing of your Canadian Immigration application.

Types of Canadian Work Permits:

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - based work permits;

Intra-Company Transferees (Foreign businesses with a parent company, branch, subsidiary or affiliate in Canada have the option to bring key employees from overseas to Canada through the Intra-Company Transfer program.)

- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Exemptions;

- Post-Graduation Work Permits For International Students;

- Business Visitors – Work Without A Work Permit

Find out if you’re eligible to work in Canada


General eligibility requirements

No matter where you apply, you must:

- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
- show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home,
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (we may ask you to give us a police clearance certificate),
- not be a danger to Canada’s security,
- be in good health and have a medical exam (if needed)
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions,
- not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages, and
give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.

Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:

- are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
- have graduated from a program at a Canadian university, community college, CÉGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or
other eligible schools.
- have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more,
- have applied or been included in an application for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit),
- have asked for refugee status in Canada and are waiting for a decision from the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada,
- have been recognized by the RPD as a convention refugee or protected person,
- have had your refugee claim turned down by the RPD but you cannot be removed from Canada for reasons beyond your control, or
are allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job.
Find out what type of work permit you can apply for. If you are applying for an open work permit, leave the employer section of the application blank.


Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada

You can ask to be allowed to work in Canada when you enter Canada but only if:

- you are from a visa-exempt country,
- you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, or are from a designated country, and either
your employer has completed all of the steps for your type of work permit, or you are applying for an open work permit.


If you’re a citizen of an eTA-required country, you’ll need to get an eTA if you plan to fly into Canada. To avoid additional costs, we recommend that you apply for your work permit before you travel to Canada.

There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.


Open-work permits

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions, or
who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.
You can only get an open work permit in specific situations. 

Employer-specific work permits

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

the name of the employer you can work for,
how long you can work, and
the location where you can work (if applicable).

How to proceed if you require assistance?

1. Email us ( Your issue and any documentation that you consider relevant


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.


Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page