top of page

How to immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Who can apply as a Federal Skilled Worker?


Skilled work experience:

Your work experience must be:

  • in the same type of job as your primary NOC

  • within the last 10 years

  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)

  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC)

  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:

a. full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
b. equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
c. full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1-year full time (1,560 hours)


You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes most of the main duties listed.

If you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.


Language ability

You must take an approved language test that shows you meet the level for:

  • writing

  • reading

  • listening

  • speaking

You must get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities.
You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.



If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian:

secondary (high school) or post-secondary school

If you have a foreign education, you must have:

an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree  from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school

What are the Selection factors for Federal Skilled Workers?

If you meet all the conditions set out in the minimum requirements, Your application will be evaluated based on these selection factors:

  • Age

  • Education

  • Work experience

  • Whether you have a valid job offer

  • English and/or French language skills

  • Adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. You earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. Your total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.


Proof of funds

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada unless you:

are currently able to legally work in Canada
have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

Principal applicant

The principal applicant should be the one most likely to:

  • meet the eligibility requirements

  • earn the most points in the section factors

  • earn the most points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for Express Entry


Comprehensive Ranking System Immigration to Canada tool (CRS): Skilled Immigrants 

The CRS is a points-based system that we use to assess and score your profile and rank it in the Express Entry pool. It’s used to assess your: skills, education, language ability, work experience, and other factors.

Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System

Canadian Immigration Authorities have made changes to the Express Entry system:

You can now get 15 additional points for at least one sibling (brother or sister) living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident if they:

  • are 18 years old or older

  • are related to you by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption

  • have a parent in common with you

You can now get additional points if you score NCLC 7 or higher on all four French language skills

  • 15 additional points if you scored CLB 4 or lower in English (or if you didn’t take an English test)

  • 30 additional points if you scored CLB 5 or higher on all four English skills

It is no longer mandatory to create a Job Match account with Job Bank if you don’t have a job offer or nomination from a province or territory

Pool eligibility

The immigration programs managed by the Express Entry system have different criteria. The programs are:

The CRS also gives you points for: 

  • Canadian degrees, diplomas or certificates

  • a valid job offer

  • a nomination from a province or territory

  • other factors

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

The points you get from the CRS include a core set of points up to 600 and a set of additional points of up to 600. Your total score will be out of 1,200. It is based on the four parts of the CRS formula:

Core: Up to 600 points

  • Skills and experience factors

  • Spouse or common-law partner factors, such as their language skills and education

  • Skills transferability, including education and work experience

Additional: Up to 600 points for:


  • Canadian degrees, diplomas or certificates

  • a valid job offer

  • a nomination from a province or territory

  • a brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident

  • strong French language skills

Core points + Additional points = Your total score

Other requirements

You must be admissible to Canada.
You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec
If you have skilled work experience and want to live in Canada permanently, contact our offices to see if you’re eligible for the Express Entry pool.


How to proceed?

  1. Email us (contact@immigratione.comYour  CV/Resume, 4-5 sentences about Yourself/Family Situation, If you or your spouse took IELTS – Test results, family in Canada (if any)

  2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment

  3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration professionals.

We adhere to the highest standards of client relationship and service.

Click here to fill out the Immigration Assessment Form



Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page