top of page

Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Express Entry. 
Required documents for WES & the Evaluation Process.

An Educational Credential Assessment is a report paper that assesses your foreign education. For Express Entry, it is used to ensure that your foreign educational credential is valid and equal to a Canadian one.

The reference number must be included in your Express Entry profile.

Who needs to have the degree assessed?

If the applicant completed her/his education outside Canada, the assessment is required in order to:


If a spouse or common-law partner is coming with the principal applicant to Canada, then the applicant can earn points for their education level as well.

If the applicant has obtained a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate, assessment is not required.

In order to earn "valuable" points, the report must indicate that the foreign educational credentials of the applicant are equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.


Which credentials should I have assessed?

In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education.

For instance, if you have a Master’s degree, you only need an assessment for that degree. You will not require one for your Bachelor’s degree.

Should I get an assessment for 2 or more credentials?

To get points for having 2 or more credentials, you need an assessment for each one.

Should I get your secondary education assessed?

If your post-secondary credential is not equal to a Canadian credential, you could get your secondary credential assessed. This would get you points for completing secondary school.

How to get ECA and who can do my educational credential assessment?

The applicant must use one of these designated organizations:

  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies 

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada 

  • World Education Services

  • International Qualifications Assessment Service 

  • International Credential Evaluation Service 

Choosing a designated organization based on your occupation.

What does my ECA report mean?

Your report must show that your foreign credential is valid and equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential. If it does, you must include the result and reference number in your Express Entry profile.

If your report shows that your credential isn’t equal to a completed Canadian credential or the foreign educational institution is not recognized:

  • you won’t meet the education requirement under the Federal Skilled Workers Program

  • you won’t get any points for it


Comparison table

This link contains a full list of possible results for an educational credential assessment report. It shows how many points you can earn under the:


Use this table to find the result on your report and see what it’s equal to


What is World Education Services (WES)?

WES is an organization that evaluates international education qualifications.

Is WES authentication is required for Canada immigration?

For immigration to Canada, the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is required. An ECA is required to apply to certain Canadian immigration programs. The main role of World Education Services (WES) in terms of Canadian Immigration is to provide ECAs for degrees and diplomas received outside of Canada.

WES, first of all, verifies the authenticity of your documents and issues the equivalency report which assists in achieving the immigration goals of the applicant.


What is WES processing time? 

IRCC applications require 35 business days for processing. 

What are the WES evaluation steps?

Three-step evaluation process:

  • Submission of your application.

  • Submission of your documents.

  • Verification of your credentials, preparation of the report, and subsequent delivery.


How do I pay to WES for the report?

Your payment must be received before an evaluation can be completed.

WES accepts credit cards, checks/money orders, or Western Union transfers.

Evaluations & Fees - World Education Services - WES

What are the Required Documents for WES - World Education Services?

What is the process to get Educational Credential Assessment, Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Express Entry: How to get it?


Please click this link 


How does WES report look like?


Here is a Sample WES report:


How to proceed with immigration consultation?

1. Email us ( Your  CV/Resume, 4-5 sentences about Yourself/Family Situation, If you or your spouse took IELTS – Test results, family in Canada (if any), desired province.

* If Business Immigration / Employee Relocation / Investments - Short description of the issue


2. We review your documents and appoint a consultant/lawyer to contact you with the brief assessment


3. You decide whether to proceed.


All our cases are handled by experienced lawyers and RCIC immigration specialists.

We adhere to the highest standards of client relationship and service.

Click here to fill out the Immigration Assessment form



Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and the copyright owner is the: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Quebec

Disclaimer: The content of this page is provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners of this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.​​

bottom of page